Manners of Supplication
1. Supplication should start with, “Bismillah…In the name of Allah, Praise is to Allah, and Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon the Messenger of Allah and should end with (Peace and Blessing be upon the Messenger of Allah).”
2. Supplication should be performed secretly and with a present (sincere) heart. Allah (SWT) said: “Invoke your Rabb (Cherisher and Sustainer) with humility and in secret, He likes not the aggressors.” (Qur’an 7:55)
3. Supplicate Allah (SWT) with humility and express your need of Allah (SWT). He said: “Verily, they used to hasten on to do good deeds, and they used to call on Us with hope and fear, and used to humble themselves before us.” (Qur’an 21:90)
4. Insist to Allah (SWT) in your supplication by repeating it many times.
5. Invoke Allah (SWT) by His Names and Attributes. He said: “And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allah, so call on Him by them.” (Qur’an 7:180)
6. Supplicate Allah (SWT) by mentioning the righteous deeds you have done. Narrated Abdullah bin Umar (Ra), that he heard Allah’s Messenger (SAW), saying “Three men, amongst those who became before you set out until night came and they reached a cave, so they entered it. A rock slithered down from a mountain and blocked the entrance of the cave. They said: “Nothing will save you from this except that you supplicate to Allah (SWT) by mentioning the righteous deeds you have done, etc.” (Bukhari and Muslim)
7. Admit your sins during your supplication. Allah (SWT) said: “Dhan-Nun (Jonah), when he went off in anger, and imagined that We shall not punish him. But he cried through the darkness (saying): La ilaha illa Anta (none has the ,right to be worshiped but You) Glorified be You, Truly, I have been of the wrongdoers.” (Qur’an 21:87)
8. Repeat each sentence of your supplication three times. From the long Hadith narrated by Ibn Masaud (Ra), and when the Prophet (SAW) finished his Salat, he raised his voice and supplicated on them and when he supplicated, he supplicated three times….” (Muslim)
9. Face the Qiblah (Mecca) during your supplication. Narrated Abdullah bin Zaid (Ra): “Allah’s Messenger (SAW) went out to his praying place to offer the Salat of Istisqa (rain) He invoked Allah (SWT) for rain and then faced Al-Qiblah and turned his upper garment inside out.” (Bukhari)
10. Raise your hands while supplicating Allah (SWT) as in the Hadith of Abu Musa (Ra): when the Prophet (SAW) had finished from the battle of Hunain, he said “the Prophet (SAW) asked for water, performed ablution and then raised his hands saying ‘O Allah forgive Ubaid Abi Amir.” (Bukhari and Muslim)
11. Be in the state of Purity during your supplication. (See the previous Hadith)
12. When making supplication for others, start with yourself first then include others. Allah (SWT) said about Noah (AS) “My Rabb (Cherisher and Sustainer) forgive me and my parents and him who enters my home as a believer, and all the believing men and women..” (Qur’an 71:28)
13. Do not be aggressive when you are supplicating Allah (SWT) such as asking Him to make you a prophet and you know there will not be a prophet after Mohammed (SAW) or make you live for ever and you know every one will die.
14. Remember to include your parents in your supplication (if they are Muslims only or they died on Islam but if they are alive and they are non believers, you can not supplicate Allah (SWT) to have mercy on them or forgive their sins, you are only allowed to ask Allah (SWT) to guide them to the right path “Islam” )
15. Be patient. Do not expect an immediate response from Allah (SWT) although this could happen. But if it does not, then you should be patient and continue supplicating Allah (SWT) until you see the results. Narrated Abu Hurairah (Ra): Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said: “The invocation of anyone of you is responded to by Allah (SWT) if he does not show impatience by saying; ‘I invoked Allah (SWT) but my request has not been granted.’” (Bukhari and Muslim)(via islamicquotes11)